History of the CPD | Federation Internationale de l'Automobile

History of the CPD

History of the CPD

The Carnet de Passages en Douane, created in 1911, first entered into use in 1913 as a document serving to simplify customs formalities for motoring tourists and travellers.

Two United Nations protocols covering the temporary importation of vehicles, in 1954 (cars) and 1956 (commercial vehicles), recognized the FIA and the AIT as the two international organizations with the rights to issue CPDs.

The Alliance Internationale de Tourisme (AIT), founded in 1898, and the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), founded in 1904, are international non-governmental organizations comprising together more than 220 affiliated clubs and associations in some 130 countries around the world.  The AIT provides material support to the FIA and manages the international AIT/FIA customs documents network with the aim of facilitating international travel and touring.  The FIA’s aim is to promote the development of automobile mobility, tourism and motor sport.

The CPD is used within the framework of the United Nations Customs Conventions of 1954 and 1956, which cover, respectively, the temporary importation of private and commercial road vehicles. The CPD also forms part of the 1990 Istanbul Convention, administered by the World Customs Organization.

The AIT and FIA work in close cooperation with the United Nations (UN) and the World Customs Organization (WCO) on all matters related to customs documents and the simplification of customs formalities governing the temporary importation of motor vehicles.

The clubs and associations of the AIT and FIA play a major role in the international application of the CPD system.  These associations guarantee and issue CPDs within the well-defined parameters of the international AIT/FIA customs documents network.